Developed in collaboration with Dr Graham Tydeman, Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology - NHS Fife, Professor Andy Shennan - Professor of Obstetrics, and Dr Annette Briley – Consultant Midwife, Clinical Trial Manager, Maternal and Fetal Research Unit, Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital, the Amnio Abby® simulator has been designed to enhance training in ultrasound guided amniocentesis and chorionic villus sampling (CVS).
As Non-invasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT) becomes more common, Amnio Abby® enables clinicians to practice the skills and dexterity required for invasive procedures in a safe, controlled manner.
Using our expertise in material innovation and anatomical accuracy, the simulator has been designed to give a highly realistic sonographic representation of a pregnant mother’s abdomen at 15 week gestation.
To enhance training scenarios the simulator includes two abdominal wall layers to simulate patients with increased Body Mass Index (BMI), variable amniotic liquor volume and separate placenta to ensure competency and help increase required skill levels.
- Easy to use, minimal maintenance
- Highly realistic sonographic image
- 15 week size fetus with umbilical cord insertion
- Amniotic sac which may be punctured several times to allow for a number of invasive procedures to be simulated before replacemen
- Variable amniotic fluid volume allowing for training to be tailored for easy or difficult procedures
- Separate placenta for posterior or anterior placement, to allow for transplacental scenarios as well as chorionic villus sampling (CVS) procedures
- Two abdominal layers to allow for simulation of patients with a higher BMI
2 Year Guarantee
- This model, manufactured by Adam,Rouilly, comes with a 2 Year Guarantee.
This guarantee applies to models which have been used correctly and covers durability and functionality.
- A range of easy and more difficult procedures can be experienced by varying fetal position, abdominal layers, amniotic fluid volume and placental position enhancing simulation for both new trainees and experienced clinicians
- Visualisation under ultrasound of key anatomical structures including abdominal wall, placenta, fetus, umbilical cord and amniotic fluid
- Identification of a suitable needle entry point in the simulated abdomen
- Monitoring of the needle path under
- real-time ultrasound guidance
- Successful withdrawl of an amniotic fluid sample
- Transplacental needle approach simulation (via placement of the placenta and adjustment of the amniotic volume)
- Chorionic villus sampling (CVS) procedures
- Clinical planning and team work before, during and after invasive procedures
- Patient communication
Supplementing Invasive Procedures Competency
- As Non-invasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT) and other techniques reduce the need for amniocentesis and other ultrasound guided diagnostic procedures, trainees and operator skills can be enhanced using this realistic simulator
- To remain proficient, guidelines state “competency should be maintained by carrying out at least 30 ultrasound guided invasive procedures per annum”1
- Amnio Abby® can help operators to have sufficient confidence to perform more advanced techniques such as cordocentesis and intrafetal procedures that will continue to be required even with the decline in diagnostic invasive tests
1 Professor Z Alfirevic FRCOG, Mr SA Walkinshaw FRCOG and Professor MD Kilby FRCOG. (2010). Amniocentesis and Chorionic Villus Sampling, Green–top Guideline No. 8. London. Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, pp. 5 - 6
- 2 abdominal layers, fetal sac with 15 week-old sized fetus and umbilical cord, separate placenta, sac filling syringe and tubing, base and carrying case
REPLACEMENT FETAL SAC FOR AR60 AMNIO ABBY